This Backcountry Access avalanche shovel converts into an ice axe for avalanche safety. This shovel is for the weight-conscious with its light build.
The Shaxe Speed Avalanche Shovel and Ice Axe is BCA's lightest combo product for ski mountaineering. This rescue shovel comes with an interchangeable ice axe head for Type 1 (Basic) ice axes.
Saves weight and space in your pack by eliminating redundant shaft for separate ice axe. Great addition to your spring/summer skiing arsenal. Shovel still operational when switched to axe mode. Includes hardware to utilize the blade and shaft to make a rescue sled with K2 skis (or any skis with holes in tip and tail).
The smooth blade allows for shaving down clean snow pit walls and contains holes for use as a snow anchor.
- WEIGHT IN SHOVEL MODE: 1.4 lbs / 654 g
- WEIGHT IN AXE MODE: 0.6 lbs / 290 g
- TOTAL PACKED WEIGHT ALL PARTS : 1.7 lbs / 756 g
- PICK MATERIAL: 7075 T6 aluminum
- BLADE DIMENSIONS: 9.4 x 11.2 in / 24 x 28.5 cm
- BLADE SHAFT MATERIAL: 6061 T6 Aluminum
- SHOVEL MODE LENGTH: 27.5 in / 70 cm
- AXE MODE LENGTH: 20 in / 51 cm
SHOVEL BUYER'S GUIDE
All the info you need on shovels:
Size - do the shaft and blade fit in your pack? (note: the bigger the shaft and blade - the more effective the shovel is).
- Weight - is it light enough to carry if you're ski touring?
Durability - will it stand up to the rigors of digging through avalanche debris? (note: more durable shovels are inevitably heavier!)
- Grip: D-grip vs. T-Grip - D-Grips are more ergonomic and will make you a better shoveller, but are heavier than a T-Grip.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.