An essential in your avalanche equipment: the Mammut 280cm Speed Lock Avalanche Probe is a light, durable aluminum probe that packs up small for maximum effectiveness when probing. The newly developed, glove-compatible Speed Lock system ensures maximum comfort when locking the probe.
All the numbers you need:
- Length: Collapsed: 45 cm / Extended: 280 cm
- Tensioning System: Speed Lock System
- Diameter: 11 mm
- Segments: 7
- Weight: 275 g
- Stable, lightweight probe segment made from high-quality carbon
- Extremely precise probe scaling on both sides
- Durable tensile tensioning cord for maximum stability of probe tensioning system
- Drop-shaped probe tip for energy-saving probing
- Suitable for use with gloves
- Practical probe cover with integrated emergency plan
Everything you need to know about probe buying!
Material - The stronger (and heavier!) the material, the more effective it will be at probing. The lighter the probe, the more expensive it gets. Carbon is the lightest (and most expensive), Aluminum is stronger and cheaper, but heavier, Steel is heavy and expensive, but the best at the job.
Length - You'll see probes ranging from 200cm-320cm. We don't sell anything less than 240. Successful extractions have been done up to 3m. Keep in mind you'll need to hold on to the probe as you enter the snow. Longer probes mean more ferrules, so count on them being a bit heavier (but not much) and having more mass.
- Assembly - How quick can you get it together and secured (like really secured!) into place? Practice will help, but make sure it's got an easy lock.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.